The Riots
I figured that I should write a little about the present situation in Paris and around western Europe for those of you who are curious.
I have found that in Paris (and might I assume the rest of France), discrimination is prevalent and assimilation is not. France, with proof in its support of the Palestinian viewpoint, has hardly moved passed the anti-Semitic notions of the past. But that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the current situation.
Since arriving in France, I have learned that the French take the position on any problem (silly ones including broken escalators in deep underground Metro stations AND more serious like the current riots) that says, "if we do nothing, the problem will eventually solve itself." I believe that the current situation is the result of the "benign neglect" employed in all facets of life.
Racism exists in the USA, especially within the older generations, but it is a different magnitude over here. There are several immigrants from Africa in my neighborhood working as nannies for the wealthy (white) residents of the 16th arrondissement. The residents of the area seem to put an imaginary bubble between themselves and the people they employ, as if their employees are less than human. If they believe this, why do they trust them with their children? People of different races don't sit next to each other on the busses or metros unless they absolutely have to. I think the black Parisians don't sit next to the white Parisians out of fear of retribution, while the white Parisians don't sit next to the black Parisians out of (for a lack of a better word) disgust.
It's no wonder that anger has erupted.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home