Google

Monday, November 07, 2005

London!



Just returned from London--it  was fabulous, despite a few minor glitches that I will only mention in passing*, and I saw THE Queen. The family that I stayed with were SO nice, I can't even begin to explain. They took me anywhere I wanted to go and we had some great meals (not including the Black Pudding, or blood sausage, that I agreed to try at a food fair). I loved the diversity of London--there were people from everywhere! On Friday night, I went to a pub and met some really nice people around my age

Thursday: Bus Tour of the City, shoe shopping (to replace the ones that I was wearing that caused me much grief), Tower of London, Guys and Dolls
Friday: London Eye, British Museum
Saturday: Harrods, Covent Garden
Sunday: Drive/Lunch in the Country

Watched a lot of TV (in English for once), including The X Factor (UK American Idol). Nicole introduced me to British bands, Westlife and Girls Aloud and so I (of course) downloaded them as soon as I got back to Paris. Speaking of Paris, I really wasn't looking forward to returning (not to mention that the bed I slept on in London was extremely comfortable and my bed in Paris is not only terribly uncomfortable but broken--imagine a plank of wood balancing on the tip of a triangle, you have to be perfectly balanced in order to maintain parallel). I do love the city of Paris for its unique culture and multitudes of things to do, but the rigidness of the whole affair just gets to me. Some rules I have discovered while here: I do not know Madame Robertet's first name because I am to address her as "Madame." Although I rent my room, I am not entitled to privacy granted to someone who shares an apartment with an equal. Talking down to the help is expected. Only watching out for one's own well being is the way of life, if someone else drops the ball, do not pick it up for them, let them do it themselves. I guess when it comes down to it, I realized this weekend when I felt part of one, that I miss being around and a part of a family (whether it be relatives or friends).
 
Anyway, back to London. It's funny, the American hyper political correctness is definately not in effect in England--people say what they think despite the "offensiveness" Americans might make it out to be.

All in all, a great weekend. I think London is a definite contender for a place to attend grad school...once I get my act together and figure out what I am going to do (hopefully television in the long run).

This week, I am going to a ballet at the Opera Garnier and writing two papers. The work never ends.

*Ewan McGregor was out sick for our performance of Guys and Dolls, The House of Commons was not sitting on the day I intended to go, and I cut up my feet the first day by wearing flats that were too small.

2 Comments:

At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man how much would I pay to see Ewan McGregor in Guys and Dolls. Was he supposed to be Nathan Detroit or Skye Masterson??

 
At 2:12 AM, Blogger SusanIsk said...

Sky...although the guy that replaced him wasn't terrible and he did resemble Leonardo DiCaprio.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home