Friday, September 23, 2005
I woke up and made my way down the street to the Trocadero esplanade where the entire study abroad group was meeting for our day “trip.” We took a (non-air-conditioned) bus ride for 2 hours to Chateau Chintilly—the home of the first illuminated manuscript of which I wrote a paper on in (I believe) 10th grade history class. The chateau was interesting and nice to look at (I believe it was a former royal hunting lodge) but lacking in the excitement factor. Eventually, we re-boarded the bus and headed to another chateau where we had a 3.5 hour lunch. There were 4 courses: pate, duck (I think), cheese, and dessert and I figured I should at least try the pate (I believe it was at least half salmon) since I have never tasted it before—and let’s just say that I won’t be trying it again. I have always told people that I like cheese, but since arriving to France (and being told that the cheese here is real cheese), I need to take that back—nearly all of the cheese I have tried tastes like feet…and smells just as bad. After the lunch, we endured the 2 hour bus ride again, but it took 3 hours…The bus left us at the Opera Bastille where saw Rusalka by Dvorak. I stayed for the first act and heard the song that I knew (I have NO idea how I know it, maybe someone in Madrigals sang it at Cranbrook), but I was so tired and have an early train tomorrow so I headed back to my neighborhood.
Interesting things about Paris: random wet spots on the sidewalks (what ARE they), the fact that eggs aren’t refrigerated when you buy them, how luxurious McDonalds are (the one on Champs-Elysee has plasma screens, leather seats, and china plates.

1 Comments:
McDonalds are luxurious in parts of the USA too, I went to one in Boston's ritzier neighborhoods that was very nice. No plasma screen though. Maybe they're like that on the upper East Side. Right now I'm listening to the 1812 overture - a song celebrating the defeat of Napolean by Russia. Very fitting for this moment. When you think about how bad it is to live without air conditioning, think about all the suffering in the Gulf of Mexico right now. A bus last night exploded, carrying evacuees from a nursing home, maybe you wont think your bus ride is so bad in retrospect.
Post a Comment
<< Home